About Me

My photo
She's got pretty brown eyes, and she's in mint condition

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Art of Thrifting

Before the new hit "thrift shop" came out, a friend of mine had told me about thrifting. And, honestly, it has become a hobby of mine. It's not only a hobby,  but it is an art. You have to have patience. You have to have time. And most importantly, you have to have some sort of creative fashion vision. You have to see  beauty in something that someone else has willingly throw out. I have found some incredible things thrifting. I like to stick to Salvation Army Thrift Stores, that's where I have most of my luck. Don't get me wrong, there are some things you just cannot buy from a thrift shop; 
1. Undies/Bras/Lingere
2. Shoes.
3. Bedding.

Here are some of my finds: 

(^above): a Pink, long hoodie, a BEAUTIFUL loose fitting coral sweater, and a teal long sleeve, lace-neck wool sweater all for $1.50 each.

(^above) A coral three-quarter sleeved faux button up shirt, a three-toned black, slate, and gray three-quarter sleeved shirt w/front pocket, and a FLORAL loose fitting crew neck sweatshirt. All for $1.99 each


(^above) Zebra print cashmere scarf for $1.50

(^above) White scarf with gold accents for $1.50, Black V-Neck T-Shirt for $1, and Forever 21 Ripped Skinnies for $4.99

(^above) Floral "Vintage" jumpsuit for $1.50

(^above) Floral Fitted long dress for $1.50. 

Among many other things including: 
Liz Claiborne over the shoulder black purse with three compartments for $5
Oversized Floral purse for $4.99
and at least 8 pairs of brand name jeans (including Express, Gap, Forever21, WetSeal, Old Navy) for $5 each

Also, I get my scrubs for work at Salvation Army. I pay AT MOST $5 a piece. 
I bought a CuisinArt Grinding Coffee Machine for $9 that makes the most incredibly fresh coffee I've ever tasted. 
I buy my nephews tons of sweats and shirts there. They'll never know what I paid for them, and before I know it, they'll grow out of them anyways. 


Moral of the story is;
Never judge somebody by where they shop, and never think you're too good to thrift. It is tons of fun, and takes tons of effort. I highly suggest you guys try it for yourself. 

NOTE: I've decided that as I continue to thrift, I will have a little segment (if you will) on JTBD about my finds, and how I make outfits out of what I get. Stay tuned.

xoxo --NIC

No comments:

Post a Comment